CORE’s six-month computer training course helps students conquer fears of learning computer and internet basics. Instructors advise and mentor students to identify existing skills, nurture career interests, work together on individualized resumes, and teach job search strategies.
By the end of the course, students have the tools to achieve career success and are on the path to lifelong self-sufficiency. See admission policies ►
The program contains five key components:
- Training in keyboarding & mouse skills
- 114 hours of training in Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer & email
- A refurbished, low-cost computer for students who need one
- Coaching in job-readiness skills and assistance with job placement
- Enrollment opportunity at Northern Virginia Community College (NVCC), financial aid application assistance and college credits for coursework completed at CORE
Classes start in February and August each year:
- Each session is approximately 6 months long.
- Each class is three hours in length. Students attend class twice a week.
- Students learn how to use Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. They also learn how to send email and navigate the Internet.
- Students participate in a Success Strategies program where they learn to create a resume and cover letter, practice interviewing for a job and learn how to conduct a job search.
- The materials fee is $200.
- Live in Northern Virginia.
- Be eligible to work in the United States.
- Be over 18 years of age.
- Have no previous computer skills.
- Speak, read and write English at a sixth grade level or higher.
- Meet CORE income requirements.
- Proof of eligibility to work in the United States (birth certificate, passport, work authorization, etc.)
- Proof of household income (IRS 1040 form)
- Photo Identification (driver’s license, passport, etc.)
- Proof of home address (utility bill showing name and address, etc.)
- Decide if Computer CORE is right for you. Do you want a new job or a promotion? Do you want a job where you will make $25,000-$30,000 a year? Do you want an administrative job, such as bank teller, hotel front desk, accounting assistant or medical office administrative assistant? Can you attend all the classes required for graduation?
- Attend an information session. In this session, we will give full details about the program and answer your questions.
- Complete an application and schedule an admissions interview.
- Attend your interview. At the interview, you must provide eligibility documents, complete a 3-part English language exam and talk with a volunteer about why CORE’s program may be right for you. Pay your $200 materials fee before class term begins.
CORE is funded in part by the City of Alexandria Fund for Human Services Community Partnership Fund and the Fairfax County Consolidated Community Funding Pool. CORE also relies on the contributions of partners and individual donors »